Tell me that #AllLivesMatter.
Tell me.
Let me tell you a few stories.
Did my life matter when, in middle school, the PE teacher
decided that I looked exactly like Whoopie Goldberg and decided that she was
going to start calling me “Whoopie”?
When I refused to respond, she said called me Whoopie, again. Once again, I refused to respond. In front of the class, she told me to come
when she called. I told her that when
she called me by my name, I would. Did
it matter that she yelled that she was about to make an example of me and yanked
me out of the gym by my arm…leaving marks on me, and drug me to the principal’s
office? She tried to get me
suspended. She told the principal that I
was being highly insubordinate. When the
principal asked what I had done, the teacher told her. The principal sent me back to class, but
later called me back to tell me that if I had just played along, then it wouldn’t
have happened.
Did my life matter when, again in middle school, my English
class thought that it would be funny to throw me a surprise “Baby Shower/Mother’s
Day Party” so that my baby would have everything that he or she needed? You know, I was told because, “Well, you
people tend to have lots of babies very early in life, with no fathers
around. We just want to make sure that
you’re not too much of a burden on the welfare office or your family.” It was a party. There were snacks. They shouted, “Happy Mother’s Day, Cerissa!”
to me when I walked into the classroom.
At least two teachers were complicit in that event. No one stopped them. No one told them that what the ENTIRE class
was doing was wrong. I can’t be sure if
these kids’ parents knew that they were doing this. Even if they did, if they would have stopped
them. When I expressed to the teacher
how hurt and humiliated I was, she told me, “Oh, God! You need to have a sense of humor or you’re
not going to get very far in life. They
were just having fun.”
The same teacher who asked me if I was straight from Africa
because my skin is as black as coal, my nose is disproportionate to the rest of
my face and my hair is so kinky. The
same teacher who asked me if I knew who my father was, and if my brother and I
had the same one.
Did my life matter when, in high school, I was told that I
couldn’t be a real part of the quiz bowl team because I wasn’t “representative”
of my school? When I was told that I
would make an excellent mascot, or team sponsor support person because, you
know, Blacks weren’t really into academics.
Did my life matter when, as an adult, I was driving my now
husband’s Mustang down Bay Area and I got pulled over by a police officer for
the vehicle having no front plates? When
the officer pulled me out of the car, told me, “Get your fucking hands on the
hood and keep them where I can see them!”
When he informed me that people “like me” love stealing cars like
that. He ran my license while
threatening to arrest me for stealing a car and identity theft.
Did my life matter when a woman at an optometrist’s office
lied on me, and told her boss that I stole a handful of $6 eyeglass
chains? When that doctor approached me
and accused me, not questioned, not asked…ACCUSED me of stealing them. When my parents showed up and another worker
there told my mom that “she didn’t look like that kind”.
Did my life matter?
Do you realize the one difference between me and my
attackers at those times?
Do you?
Do I need to spell it out for you?
You might say, “But, they weren’t violent attacks.”
The hell you say.
I was 12 years old when teachers, classmates, and so-called
friends violated my childhood. My
innocence. My right to feel safe at
school. My right to go to a teacher or
administrator and tell them that I had been wronged. My right to trust the adults around me. My right for justice.
That was pretty damned violent, if you ask me.
I don’t need one person to validate, or invalidate, the life
that I have lived in the skin that I have.
In each and every instance, my life…my BLACK LIFE did not matter.
So, go somewhere with #AllLivesMatter, because clearly, they
don’t.
So now you say, “But, that was in the past. You should get over it. You should forgive and forget. People change.”
You know what? Those
people who have been murdered…those BLACK people who have been murdered…deserved
at least that much. They may, or may
not, have had questionable pasts, but didn’t they deserve better than what they
got?
Don’t tell me to “forgive and forget” if you aren’t willing
to do the same. I’ll tell you, honestly
I’ve forgiven. It takes too much to
carry that hate. It festers and makes
you as hard-hearted and lifeless as those who are engaging in the
wrongdoing.
But, I haven’t forgotten.
I won’t. I can’t. It is part of my history. You can’t make me, and you can’t shame me for
it.
If it bothers you, get up, get out, and do something about
it. Prove to me that #AllLivesMatter to
you by helping to prove that #BlackLivesMatter.
Believe me, you can support #BlackLivesMatter AND
#CopsLivesMatter at the same time. It’s
called #ActingLikeADecentHumanBeing.
Make me believe that #AllLivesMatter.
Cerissa,
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. The same middle school... the counselor told me that I should quit. I was gonna end up pregnant at a young age and not go anywhere with my life. That was a turning point for me. I was pissed. I took that anger (aka hurt) with me into high school and did what needed to be done because I had to prove something to myself. High school wasn't any better. Because I was fat the principal was constantly on me about the clothes I wore and because I was Mexican, apparently WE ALWAYS CAUSED PROBLEMS. The day I found out I was pregnant will always be memorialized in our yearbook. My picture is on the homecoming nominee page. I was poor, colored, and pregnant. When I applied for a scholarship and was in the run for doing the last interview I was told by a LULAC committee member to give it up because I was not going anywhere with a baby. It took our only African American counselor to push me to try and not listen to the haters. If it were not for Me. Lyons I would not be where I am at. He knew how much people discriminated and was my knight in shining armor. I have always respected and cared for you lady. You are truly amazing and I am glad you shared this. Bless you girl!