Friday, January 25, 2013

Traveling without my baby, and other strange experiences


I would like to start off by saying that you will all notice that I did NOT make this post at 2AM.  That's because I was asleep!  I slept until 430!!  Then, I got up, finished packing the little stuff that I was going need, and made sure that I had plenty of time to cuddle my baby before leaving.

It was really strange to get through security without my toddler on my hip, husband breaking down the stroller and tons of snack foods and busy work for a little one on the belt..  I put my purse, carry-on bag and shoes on the belt, walked through and that was that.

I did my best to no cry when we left this morning, then I had to continue to not cry because if I would have, then sister Amie would have started, which would have taken Madi (Amie’s baby girl) down….and that’s no way to start a girls’ weekend in Napa.

But we all played it cool….then THEY (meaning Amie and Adrienne) got margaritas.  At least I got to smell them…..they were nice enough to let that happen.  Love these ladies!

We made it to the Orange County Airport…Not the most beautiful of airports (at least at our gate), so we are people watching, and WOW!!!  Are there some people here to watch!!  If I could, I would assemble some folks that I know who could do ambush makeovers.  (come on, you know that you can be just as catty!)  I’m so happy that I’m traveling with ladies who understand me…..we’ve had some of the most excellent laughs.



We got to San Fransciso, and that’s when I learned that there is no way on this earth that I ever want to own a Prius.  Yeah, yeah….eco friendly, I get it, but it’s just a strange vehicle.  And when you connect the blue tooth, your phone  starts playing music!  Guess that this little regular, non-bluetooth car driving girl isn’t used to stuff like that.

Driving in Cali isn’t necessarily my idea of fun, either….I could do without the lane drifting, the busses that randomly pull out and all of the other Prius drivers who know what’s going on with their car.  For the life of me, I can’t remember that you have to push a darned button to put the thing in park.  I mean, COME ON!!  There’s no key!  What am I supposed to do with that?!  But I digress….

California is all about excess…..I get it.  But then, we got to the house….and DAMN!  The massiveness of this place is just ridiculous.  I felt like an inadequate little country bumpkin…as though this was the first time that I had ever worn shoes.  As one person put it, “If this is where they choose NOT to live…..”  Don’t’ get me wrong, it is a lovely house.  All kinds of space, beautiful views, gorgeous floor plan….but it’s just so BIG.  This house really made me realize that while I may have always dreamed of living in a mini-mansion, I really wouldn’t want to.  It’s so large that I could live here with my family and never see them.  And that would be sad…..that’s having a nice house, but not a home.

I will say, however, that it would be perfect for a family holiday where everyone meets here for  a few days….I say that because everyone would enjoy each other’s company, then could go to their separate corner and there would be no blood-shed.  Everyone could get a break from all of the “Family togetherness” when necessary.  That would be nifty.

This place is, however, perfect for 12 ladies who enjoy spending time together, but can also do just fine not.  No one takes a decline to an invitation to do an activity as a personal affront.  Case in point, we all had a lovely dinner at a tapas restaurant called Jole last night.  We drove back to the house, everyone came inside and some of us took showers and went to bed, some hung out together in the kitchen, some took some quiet time to read.  And we were all OK with that.  It’s really nice to be able to spend time with women who don’t see the necessity in cat fights.  We all have better things to do with our time than start girl fights, harbor jealousies, or gossip behind someone else’s back….better things to do like, say, drink wine (well, at least SOME of us can drink wine, the rest of us are left to sniff the wine of others.

I am definitely looking forward to what today is going to hold.  Lots of tours, lots of fun, and lots of relaxation for this chick right here.

So, here we sit…I’ve talked to Matt and KP.  She had fun at The Little Gym, then daddy took her to get lunch.  They went home, she had a nap, ate some mac-n-cheese, and they went to the park.  She’s alive and well…..and so am I.

Today, Daddy and Katie-Pie are going to the car show, and we are heading out to the wineries.  I'm definitely enjoying my big girl time!




No comments:

Post a Comment