Thursday, August 18, 2016

I Know That You Have Heard It All Before

But thanks, in advance, for listening anyway...

Dear Kindergarten Teacher,

I just saw the list.  My baby, my first born, the one that sparkles and shines like no other, is in your class.

I would tell you about how special she is.  How loving, caring, and kind she is.  How she will absolutely give her life for anyone she remotely considers a friend.  How her heart is always out there.  How tender she is.  But, you've heard it from every other parent before.  She's different, and she's not.  But, you'll see that tomorrow.  She's never met a stranger.

I love her.  If I had to pick the aspect of me that she embodies, it's my heart.  She has held it since before she drew breath on this Earth.  Before my arms ever held her, she held my heart.

I know that you've heard this before, but please, be gentle with my heart.  I'm trusting you with it.  It's hard.  But I know that in order for her to thrive, I must trust you.  I trust that you'll take such good care of her, that she won't be afraid.  You'll encourage her.  You'll push her to her limits, and tell her how much further she can go.

But please, be gentle.  She's so sweet.  I know you will.  This mommy's heart is excited and breaking all at the same time.  I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of her.  She can conjugate verbs in several different tenses, She can do addition through +12, She can recite facts about animals that will blow your mind.  And, she and her sister can do a mean rendition of the "Shimmer and Shine" theme song (it's really super-cute).  She loves to dance...wow!  Does she love to dance.

She is magic.

Every ounce of my being is going to trust you with my heart.  I know, you've heard it all before.  I've heard excellent things about you.  I have heard that you are amazing.  Thank you, in advance, for that.  Those are things that I need to hear.  You see, it's my first time.  I'll try not to cry tonight, tomorrow, or Monday.  I can't promise that I won't, but I will do my absolute best to hold myself together in front of her, and you.

I know how special Kindergarten teachers are.  I have know some absolutely amazing ones in my life.  I am excited to add you to that list.

Thank you for being a part of my baby's life.  Her education, her next step.

She's leaving behind some amazingly wonderful teachers from her old school.  They were the ones who taught me that it's ok to trust other people with my heart.  They love her and are just excited for her future as we are.  And, they are also the ones helping to reassure me that she's going to be just fine.

I'll drop her off with you on Monday morning.  I'll head to the library and use three or four boxes of Kleenex on my own.  I'll pull myself together, because I have to be brave for my Soul and Breath (her little sister and brother).  I need for them to trust you, too.  (They can be hard nuts to crack).

Anywho...thank you.  I know that you've heard it all before, but thanks for listening anyway.

Sincerely,
First time Kindergarten Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment